1 x Double-Sided Board: Brain Gain & Get Active (30cm x 30cm)
2 x Dice
12 x Counters
8 boxes of Brain Gain Cards for Grades R - 3
- 4 boxes of Literacy Cards (1 box of 30 cards per grade)
- 4 boxes of Numeracy Cards (1 box of 30 cards per grade)
Developed by Jane Jarvis (Educational Psychologist) & Debbie de Jong (Learning Support Specialist)
This game was developed to target and strengthen the skills and knowledge outlined in the South African CAPS curriculum for Grades R - 3. Games are a wonderful way to learn skills such as spelling, reading difficult words, tables and bonds. Studying can be made fun through the use of games which are invaluable for the repetition necessary for developing the fluency and speed needed for these skills. Repetition is BORING and most children are not motivated to learn in this way, particularly those with barriers to their learning and especially those with ADHD who lose focus easily and who need lots of variety and novelty to keep them stimulated.
The Brain Gain board
The Brain Gain board was designed to:
- Reinforce left to right directionality by starting at the top left-hand corner and sweeping across and down from left to right mimicking the direction of reading and writing.
- Stimulate fine and gross motor development.
- Reinforce Beginning Knowledge concepts such as knowing your birth date and your address.
- Consolidate counting and interval counting such as counting in 2s, 5s, and 10s.
- Emphasize good manners and consequences of actions.
The Brain Gain cards
The Brain Gain cards were designed to:
- Allow children to learn at their level to ensure feelings of success and boost motivation.
- Reinforce Foundation Phase literacy and numeracy concepts in a meaningful and interesting way.
- Encourage and improve listening and auditory perceptual development.
- Learn, practice and use phonics
- Promote discussion, exploration and problem solving.
- Enrich vocabulary and general knowledge
- Stimulate reading and comprehension
How to Play:
Join our superheroes as you work your way from left to right, answering questions relating to the colour block that you land on. Along the way there will be activities to do on the Action Blocks as well as on the Manners Blocks and a bonus if you get to trace the giant numbers and jump ahead. The first person to reach 100 is the winner!
Get Active Game
Being physically active is one of the most important aspects of a child’s life. Getting a good workout gets your blood flowing, which means more oxygen to your brain. This means our children feel better, concentrate better and get rid of any excess energy which helps them feel calmer.
What makes the game unique:
- This is a board game entirely dedicated to getting kids MOVING!
- All the major Gross Motor functions are covered.
- It is bright, fun and can be played by many children at once.
- It helps get rid of excess energy in children, helping them to focus and stay calm.
How to Play:
Jump, skip and hop your way around this board doing fun activities and getting a good work out along the way.